|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Parkend Street (SP505063)|
|To:||St Giles (SP511065)|
|Via:||Hythe Bridge, Beaumont Street|
|Distance:||0.5 miles (0.8 km)|
|Now part of:||A4144|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4496 was a short link road in Oxford city centre. The road was originally unclassified; owing to its short length its history is not fully known. However, it was definitely in existence by 1939, when it is shown on the OS 1:2500 sheet. The road is now part of the A4144 as that road's old route is now pedestrianised.
Starting on the A420 Park End Street by the station the B4496 headed northeast along Hythe Bridge Street to cross the Castle Mill Stream. It then zigzagged left into Worcester Street then right into Beaumont Street. After passing the Ashmolean Museum the road ended on the A4144 St Giles by the Martyrs' Memorial.