|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||12.8 miles (20.6 km)|
|Met (1932):||A46, A429, A419|
|Now part of:||A419|
|Route outline (key)|
The A4116 was a cross-country A-road in south Gloucestershire.
The road started on the original line of the A46 in Stroud town centre. It headed east along Russell Street and London Road to leave town and headed upstream along the valley of the River Frome, known as the Golden Valley. There are a lot of villages in the valley and the road reached Chalford having been built-up for a surprising distance.
In Chalford the road bore to the right and crossed the railway line before climbing steeply out of the valley to become completely rural. It reached the top of Cowcombe Hill and continued east across the fields on a road that was rather flat. The road soon went over the top of a tunnel carrying the railway line mentioned earlier and then continued through the wooded grounds of Cirencester Park (actually the name of a house). Presently the road reached the A429 to the west of Cirencester itself. It crossed this and continued east along Chesterton Lane, passing to the south of the town centre. It bore left along School Lane to end on the A419 Watermoor Road.