|From:||Denham, Buckinghamshire (TQ043859)|
|To:||Umberslade, Warwickshire (SP131725)|
|Length:||89 miles (143.2 km)|
|Meets:||M25, M42, A34, A40, A43, A46|
|Route outline (key)|
The M40 is the London – Birmingham Motorway. The High Wycombe and Beaconsfield bypasses were originally allocated the number A40(M). For many years, it only ran as far as Oxford, bypassing the A40. However, the plan had long been to extend it to the Birmingham area, which happened in 1989-1991. Some proposals had it reach the M5 via what is now the M42.
The M40 cuts through the Chilterns at Beacon Hill. To minimise the visual impact, it was planned to only put the new northbound carriageway in the cutting (or possible tunnel) - the southbound side would have been an online upgrade of the A40.
- 1 Major Junctions
- 2 Services
- 3 Opening dates
- 4 Traffic Data
- 5 Links
Handy Cross Interchange
Ardley Interchange is the location of a major interchange between M40 and A43 in Oxfordshire. It originally was a diamond interchange, but was reworked to its current, controversial, design as part of the A43 upgrade. The new layout of the junction causes long delays at peak hours, as there are many conflicting traffic movements on a single roundabout.
Longbridge Island is the location of a major interchange between M40 and A46 in Warwickshire. It originated as a junction between A46 and A41, and an A46 bypass for the roundabout was constructed recently.
The Umberslade Interchange is a triangular junction between M42 and M40 towards London. Priority is given betwen M40 and M42 westbound, with traffic wishing to remain on the M42 having to turn off. This junction would also have been the northern terminus of the unbuilt Strensham - Solihull Motorway. The M40 may have formed the East-West mainline, with the M50 taking the North - South mainline.
Main Article: Beaconsfield services
Cherwell Valley services
Warwick Services was the first MSA constructed on M40. It opened in 1994.
|Link||2002 AADF||2006 AADF||2010 AADF||2014 AADF|
- The M40 London—Oxford—Birmingham Motorway (Waterstock to Warwick Section) and Connecting Roads (No 1) Scheme 1984
- The M40 London—Oxford—Birmingham Motorway (Waterstock to Warwick Section) and Connecting Roads (No 1) Scheme 1984 Variation Scheme 1987
- The M40 London-Oxford-Birmingham Motorway (Waterstock to Warwick Section) and Connecting Roads (No. 1) Scheme 1984 Variation (No. 2) Scheme 1988
- The M40 London-Oxford-Birmingham Motorway (Waterstock to Wendlebury Section) and Connecting Roads Scheme 1989
- Motorway Database: M40
- Bad Junctions: M40-A404
- Bad Junctions: M40-A43
- Bad Junctions: M40-A46-A429
- Futures: M40 Junction 15 (Longbridge Island) (Removed)
- CBRD Futures: M40 Junction 9 (Wendlebury) Improvement