|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||St Clears (SN278163)|
|To:||Maudland crossroads (SN334338)|
|Distance:||14.6 miles (23.5 km)|
|Meets:||A4066, A40, B4298, B4333|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4299 is a largely rural B-road in west Carmarthenshire. It was originally unclassified but gained its number in 1935.
The road starts at a crossroads with the A4066 in St Clears, heading at first east for some 350 m along Pentre Road (the original route of the A40 through the village), before turning left into Station Road to begin its northerly course. (A short branch of the B-road continues eastward for another 150 m before becoming the slip road giving access to the eastbound carriageway of the A40 St Clears bypass.)
After crossing the Carmarthen to Whitland railway line on the level at the site of the former St Clears station, the B4299 leaves the village and follows the valley of the Dewi Fawr to Meidrim. At the end of a right-hand bend into the village, the road continuing straight ahead is the B4298 and we must again turn sharp left to stay on the B4299. We leave the river valley now and climb into the hills and lightly populated, mostly pastoral, farming country north of Meidrim.
The next settlement of any size is Trelech (about 10 km from Meidrim and 15 km from St Clears), and here the B4299 alters its course to run more generally eastward and then north-eastward on a somewhat zigzag heading which crosses the headwaters of the streams flowing south towards the Tâf and Gwili – among them the Dewi Fawr (only a tiny brook here), which we meet again and cross about a third of the way between Trelach and the terminus of our route at the lonely Maudland crossroads on the B4333.