|From:||Newport Road (ST191768)|
|To:||Crwys Road (ST187777)|
|Length:||0.6 miles (1 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4261 consists entirely of City Road, a busy local shopping street in the east of Cardiff. It was originally known as Gallows Road, as public executions were formerly carried out at the junction at its northern end. It later became Castle Road, before being renamed to City Road when the Parish of Roath was absorbed into the county borough of Cardiff in 1903, as Cardiff already had another Castle Street.
City Road was originally unclassified but gained the B4261 number in the late 1920s, making it an early example of a recycled number. It retains this number although most through traffic between the A4161 and A469 uses the parallel unclassified Richmond Road.