|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||3.3 miles (5.3 km)|
|Old route now:||A4099|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4171 is an urban B-road running through the Black Country.
Starting at traffic lights on the A459 the road heads south alongside the old railway line along an intermittently dual road along the edge of Dudley town centre. It turns left at traffic lights onto Hall Street and goes over the A461 before continuing on into Kate's Hill.
After a mini-roundabout the road TOTSOs left then descends steeply to cross a small wooded valley. We go over the Netherton Canal Tunnel at this point but there's no sign of this. The road then runs through Springfield and Rowley Regis and skirts the southern edge of Turner's Hill (the hill with the mast that's clearly visible from the M5). After passing a golf course the road continues along Birmingham Road into Blackheath town centre, ending at a roundabout on the A4100 relief road.
In 1922, the B4171 followed its current route from Dudley into Blackheath Town Centre, meeting the A4034, before turning down Halesowen Street and following the present route of the A4099 to meet the A459 north of Halesowen. The upgrade to A4099 took place in April 1925.
The B4177 gained a short extension at the northern end in the late 1990s. Due to the opening of the A461 Dudley Southern Bypass, the former section of the A461 along Trindle Road to the site of the closed Dudley railway station became part of the B4177.