|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Coatham Marsh (NZ592246)|
|Distance:||2.1 miles (3.4 km)|
|Old route now:||A1085|
|Route outline (key)|
As originally designated in 1922, the A1042 started on the A174 just south of the church at Kirkleatham. It ran north to Coatham, then along the High Street into Redcar, where it met the northern end of the A1040 (now part of the B1269), which came into town along Redcar Lane, and ended one block inland from the lifeboat station.
Today, the A1042 has been cut back to its western section only. It terminates at its junction with the A1085, south of Coatham village and west of Redcar town centre. The A1085 now runs a few blocks inland and so does not follow the route of the A1042 into Redcar. At the other end, Kirkleatham is now bypassed and so the road starts a short distance southwest from its former southern end.