|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||14.1 miles (22.7 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4425 is a cross-country B-road in the Cotswolds.
The road starts on the A40 west of Burford and heads southwestwards, initially along a dead-straight road. There's a brief section where the road runs along the Gloucestershire/ Oxfordshire county boundary, then we bear right into the former and head west to bypass Aldsworth, as this road always has. A couple of fairly flat miles then take the road into Bibury.
We descend into this tourist village and bear right on reaching the River Coln to run alongside the river. We pass a footbridge leading to the picturesque National Trust cottages of Arlington Row then, after a second footbridge, bear sharply left to cross a narrow road bridge. Technically the settlement on this side is called Arlington and we climb along the main street to return to the open fields.
A mile or so further on a sharp left-hand bend on parkland takes us into the village of Barnsley and again we follow the main street. After reentering open country we follow a small valley before joining the line of the Roman Akeman Street. A final straight section takes us to traffic lights on the edge of Cirencester. The A429 Fosse Way comes in from the right and TOTSOs, taking on the road ahead into the Roman settlement.
The B4425 was the first new Class II road in the 4 zone following the original 1922 classification. It was slightly longer than its present route as it started on the A361 in the centre of Burford before leaving town along Sheep Street to cross the A40 and reach its present route, which was otherwise unchanged.
In 1935 the entire road south of the A40 was renumbered as an extension of the A433, with just the short section into Burford keeping the B4425 number. This was downgraded again in the 1980s and the B4425 given its original route back. However, the northern end of the road has since been declassified.