|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Chesterton Lane (SP017011)|
|To:||Victoria Road (SP026019)|
|Distance:||0.7 miles (1.1 km)|
|Met:||A419, A435, A417, A429|
|Now part of:||A429, unclassified|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4426 was a short B-road through Cirencester town centre.
The road started on the southern edge of town on the A419 Chesterton Lane and headed northeastwards along Cotswold Avenue before bearing left to cross the railway line on an alignment that no longer exists. The road can be picked up again at the western end of Querns Lane. It followed this eastwards into Lewis Lane, ending at the far end of the road at a junction where several roads met. To the right and straight ahead were the A417, whilst the A429 headed back left at a sharp angle back into town.
Owing to the short length of the road its history is not well-known. A definite terminus post quem is the fact that the original B4426 existed until 1935 - although our B4426 is not shown on maps until the 1940s; this may just be for clarity as later small-scale maps don't show the road either. The road definitely existed until the 1970s. Now, however, its central section has been destroyed by the modern A429 Bristol Road and the remainder is unclassified.