|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Kemble Airfield (ST967966)|
|Distance:||3.4 miles (5.5 km)|
|Met (1956):||A429, A429|
|Now part of:||A429|
|Route outline (key)|
The original B4428 was a road on the southern edge of Gloucestershire, southwest of Cirencester. It first seems to have been allocated around 1935, and was an upgrade of a previously unclassified route.
Starting on the A429 Fosse Way the road headed roughly southwestwards to cross the River Thames and reach Kemble. It then continued beyond the village to return to the A429 (which had by now left the Roman road) a short distance further on.
In later mapping, such as that on the right, the B4428 appears to randomly change to A429 a few yards to the north of the Wiltshire boundary. This is due to the original routing of the A429 being cut off by a runway extension to Kemble Airfield (now Cotswold Airport), and the local numbering scheme not being rearranged to suit.
The situation changed in the 1960s with the B4428 becoming part of a rerouted A429, which it remains.