|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||0.9 miles (1.5 km)|
|Meets:||A5066, A57, B5225, A6042|
|Route outline (key)|
The B5461 is a short link road in Salford. Its short length makes its early history difficult to determine from maps. Certainly the route formed a part of the A5064 when that road was first classified in 1922; the present number was bestowed at some time around the 1970s.
The B5461 starts on the A5066 at a point where northbound traffic on that road TOTSOs left. We head northeastward along Ordsall Lane, which is lined with modern housing and offices. It's not long before we cross the A57 at traffic lights, after which we pass a retail park and then go under a railway line. A brief, oddly detached portion of the B5225 is met at traffic lights on the far side.
Now we are following East Ordsall Lane through an area whose buildings have been cleared for regeneration. We go under the railway line immediately west of Salford Central station, then bear right to run alongside the line, which remains elevated. Before long, Clermont Way bears off to the left; this is the original B5461 which crossed the A34 Irwell Street to end on the A6 Chapel Street. Now, however, the road continues beside the railway line which runs on a viaduct to our right, before ending at a LILO junction on the A34 Trinity Way.