|From:||Station Parade (S), Harrogate (SE305548)|
|To:||Wetherby Road, Harrogate (SE314554)|
|Via:||York Place, Knaresborough Road|
|Distance:||0.7 miles (1.1 km)|
|Meets:||A61, A59, A661|
|Route outline (key)|
The A6040 is a short urban A-road on the southeast side of Harrogate town centre, connecting the A61 to the A59 and A661. Although an urban road, it is not particularly built-up as it runs along the northwest side of The Stray (or Two Hundred Acre Field), a large piece of ground which an award made in 1778 declared to be unenclosable and open to the public in perpetuity.
Starting at the southern end of Station Parade – at the "bottom right-hand corner" of the town's extensive A61 gyratory system – the route first crosses the railway line and then runs northeastward as York Place, with The Stray on the right and large houses in their own grounds to the left. In a little over 500 metres the name changes to Knaresborough Road and the houses on the left peel away so that we now have grassed parkland on both sides of the road. The A6040 ends some 530 metres further on at the Empress Roundabout, where it joins the A59 and A661.