|From:||Bishop Auckland (NZ218283)|
|Distance:||6.6 miles (10.6 km)|
|Met (1956):||A6072, A689, B6289, B6291, A1|
|Now part of:||A688, B6288|
|Route outline (key)|
It started at South Church, to the southeast of Bishop Auckland town centre, a surprising place for the confluence of so many A-roads. It then bypassed Bishop Auckland to the east. There was a short multiplex along the A689 at Coundongate before the road continued on to Spennymoor. On the far side of town it bore left to run through Tudhoe and end on the A1 (now A167) at Croxdale, to the south of Sunderland Bridge.
When the A688 was extended east of Bishop Auckland it took over most of the route of the A6074, although the majority of it has been bypassed. The road north of Spennymoor is now B6288 but the rest of the bypassed sections are now unclassified.