|From:||Park Road, Sunderland (NZ399563)|
|To:||Sans Street, Sunderland (NZ401569)|
|Via:||Toward Road, Borough Road|
|Distance:||0.5 miles (0.7 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1294 is a short link road in Sunderland city centre.
It starts at a traffic light controlled crossroads on the A1231, Park Road / Peel Street, and runs north along Toward Road, forming the eastern edge of Mowbray Park. It then reaches another traffic light controlled junction and turns right along Borough Road, which it follows to end on a roundabout on the A1018, Sans Street.
In 1922 the B1294 started at the western end of Borough Road on the A19 (later A1018 but since declassified), Burdon Road / Fawcett Street, by Sunderland Museum. At its eastern end it did not follow the full length of Borough Road but continued along Hudson Street, Lawrence Street, and Moor Terrace to end at the eastern end of the latter road in the docks area.
When the Southern Radial Route was opened in 2008, the A1018 was moved onto a more easterly alignment to meet the northern end of the new road. In the process, it took over some of the B1294 and B1522, with the displaced B-roads being moved onto the A1018's former alignment. The entirety of the present B1294 was thus earlier part of the A1018; as of 2017 some green signs remain in place, including one displaying the A1018 number.