|From:||Rhyl Coast Road (SJ020821)|
|To:||Wellington Road (SH995806)|
|Distance:||2 miles (3.2 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The eastern end of the B5118 is at traffic lights on Rhyl Coast Road. It heads north along Tynewydd to reach the sea before turning sharply left and following the sea front. It goes along Marine Drive and East Parade to a roundabout before a short section of dual carriageway leads to the next roundabout, with a clock tower on it. This marks the original western end of the A525, which ran along the now-pedestrianised High Street.
The B5118 continues west along West Parade, passing the Sky Tower, before starting to turn into the Clwyd Estuary. It ends at a roundabout on Wellington Road, opposite the Marine Lake.
All the above was unclassified in 1922 - but the B5118 existed elsewhere in the town. It is described in the 1922 Road Lists as Branch in Rhyl to Pier, making the road difficult to place as the pier, which left the land just west of Church Street, was demolished in 1973. Although the road is marked on early maps, because of its short length its position is not obvious.
The map to the left shows that the B5118 started on the B5119 and headed along one of the roads parallel to the A525 High Street before ending on the sea front. As the road appears to run straight it may be assumed that the road ran along Bath Street. Church Street would require a zigzag and Fairfield Avenue is too far east.
The original B5118 is now unclassified. It is not known when this happened and the current route of the B5118 came into being, or whether the two versions were in existence simultaneously.