|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||16.2 miles (26.1 km)|
|Meets:||B1146, B1145, A1067, B1354, A148, B1149|
|Old route now:||A1075, B1146|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1110 is a rural B-road in central north Norfolk.
The present-day route starts some three kilometres due north of the town of Dereham (a.k.a. East Dereham) at a junction situated in the B1146 in the parish of Hoe (although its lies a kilometre south-west of the village centre) at the point where the latter road TOTSOs left on its run from Dereham towards Beetley and Fakenham.
Running northwards from here, the B1110 passes through North Elmham before, at Broom Green, TOTSOing sharply right to pass between the surviving bridge abutments of the dismantled North Elmham to Walsingham railway line. After crossing the River Wensum our route intersects the A1067 at a crossroads marked by a distinctive clocktower in the small village of Guist.
From here on, our overall trajectory turns gradually more north-eastward and we pass close to the villages of Swanton Novers and Briningham, then through Thornage, before reaching our journey's end at a roundabout junction on the A148 Holt bypass.
The B1110, when first classified, was two and a half times as long as the present route. In 1922 it began in Thetford at a junction with the A134 (today the A1066) and headed north through Croxton into what was to become, in 1942, the Stanford Battle Area – a military exclusion zone covering 120 square kilometres and still in use for troop training purposes. This had the effect of excising some 8.5 km of the route from use as a public highway.
North of the battle area the road passed between the villages of Thompson (to the south-east) and Merton (to the north-west) before intersecting the B1108 at Watton and then continuing through Shipdham to Dereham. Almost all of this section, from a point about a kilometre south of Watton, was incorporated in the 1960s into the newly classified A1075 from Thetford, and the two stubs either side of Stanford were declassified at some date after that (precisely when is as yet unknown: maps published into the 1990s continued to show them with the B1110 number).
When, in 1978 the Dereham bypass was opened, taking the A47 south of the town, Norwich Road, the old route of the A47 leading eastwards out of Dereham, was reclassified as a short extension of the B1110, running for some 2.5 km to the point where it met the eastern end of the bypass. In 1992 the bypass dual carriageway was continued eastwards for a further 5 km or so on a new alignment and the old course of the A47 through Etling Green and North Tuddenham became a further extension of the B1110.
More recently, however, the eastward extensions from Dereham have ceased to be part of the B1110 – most of Norwich Road having at one stage become part of a rerouted B1147 (now defunct) – while the first section of the northbound B1110 leading out of the town as far as the present starting-point of the route has now been taken over by the B1146.