|Length:||19.4 miles (31.2 km)|
|Meets:||A134, A11, A1075, A1088, B1111, B1113, B1077, A140|
|Former Number(s):||A134, B1111, B1132, B1131, A140|
|Route outline (key)|
The A1066 is an east-west road in south Norfolk.
The road starts at a roundabout on the A11 Thetford bypass, where the A134 heads out of town and the A1066 heads into the town centre. Before reaching the station we bear left to cross the railway line and bypass the town centre to the northeast. We meet the A1075 (former A11) at a roundabout and then cross the River Thet to another roundabout. Here the A1088 continues ahead and we bear left, joining the original route of the A1066 for the first time.
We head east along a more-or-less straight road, passing through The Forest (a small wooded area, not to be confused with the considerably larger Thetford Forest on the other side of town) before a short northerly diversion takes us across the ancient Peddars Way, now little more than a track. Another straight section takes us to the village of Garboldisham.
Now slightly more winding, the road continues eastwards through another couple of small villages, with the River Waveney, the county boundary, getting ever closer on the right. We pass Bressingham Steam Museum before the village of Roydon leads to the town of Diss. We bear right to bypass the town centre, although this bypass is some years old and is now somewhat built-up. Several roundabouts later we go under a railway line and reenter open country. We are only yards from the Waveney now and so we bear left to avoid crossing the river. After a right-hand bend there is only another straight section before we end at a roundabout on the A140 Scole bypass.
The A1066 did not exist on classification in 1922. At that time the road from Thetford to Diss was the B1111, which went from town centre to town centre. This road was upgraded to Class I status, becoming the A1066, in 1924; the road also took on a short stretch of B1131 east of Diss to end on the now-unclassified original line of the A143 at Sluston Common.
The A1066 was then seemingly unchanged until the 1970s when, to give Diss an impromptu bypass, the road swapped numbers with the B1132 so that road went through the town centre and the A1066 was given its current route. Further road improvements have extended the road at both ends. To the east the road has taken over part of the old A143 to meet the A140; to the west the road has gained a bypass of Thetford town centre before being extended along what was the southern end of the A134 so that it still ends on the A11.