|Location Map ( geo)
|Culverhouse Cross (ST118748)
|5.9 miles (9.5 km)
|A48, A4232, A4231, A4226, A4055
|B4265, B4486, B4266
|Route outline (key)
The A4050 is a short A-road in the Vale of Glamorgan. The road was created in 1935 out of three separate Class II roads.
The road starts at Culverhouse Cross, a roundabout GSJ on the A4232 where the A48 also crosses. Our road heads south along a largely rural road scattered with roundabouts, bypassing Wenvoe (before 1931 the road as B4265 went straight through).
At one of the roundabouts we turn right (ahead is the A4231) and head west. After a brief wooded section we become urban as we enter the village of Merthyr Dyfan, now essentially part of Barry. We continue along the northern edge of town (although with buildings on both sides we could be in the middle) to Colcot, where at another roundabout the A4226 continues ahead to the airport whilst we bear left. There's another roundabout after about half a mile, then we bend sharply right to follow a dead-straight road to meet the B4266.
We now descend into Barry town centre. There are another couple of roundabouts before the sea becomes visible and we bear left onto a gyratory. The A4050 ends here with the A4055 meeting the other two corners of the triangle.
Wenvoe Bypass - The 3 mile concrete road was mentioned as new by the Western Mail of 5 June 1931. It had been described as nearing completion in the 5 January 1931 edition. Contractor was Maberly Parker of Taff Vale, cost £55,391. It was the first part of the Port Road scheme from Culverhouse Cross to Barry. It originally opened as B4265.