|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Cardiff Royal Infirmary (ST191769)|
|Distance:||0.8 miles (1.3 km)|
|Met (1923):||A48, A470, A4055|
|Now part of:||A4160|
|Route outline (key)|
The A4053 was originally allocated to a link across the south side of Cardiff city centre.
Starting at the Cardiff Royal Infirmary on the A48 Newport Road, the route travelled via Glossop Road, Moira Terrace, Adam Street and Bute Terrace before terminating on Bute Street, which was the original line of the A470. The road ahead, Custom House Street, was the original eastern end of the A4055.
The A4053 was later renumbered as an eastern extension of the A4055, then when that road was moved out of the city centre it became the A4160. The ex-A4053 retains this number, although the easternmost third has been bypassed and declassified.