A4044 (Crumlin - Brynmawr)
|Distance:||10 miles (16.1 km)|
|Met:||A472, A4046, B4249, A4045, B4248, A465|
|Now part of:||A467, B4471|
|Route outline (key)|
The A4044 originally ran thorough the valleys near Ebbw Vale.
Starting on the A472 in Crumlin the road headed north along the valley of the Ebbw River, staying on the left bank as it ran upstream. At the river intersection at Aberbeeg the A4044 took the Ebbw Fach to the right and continued upstream via Abertillery and Blaina to reach Brynmawr. The road ran through the Market Square to reach the A465 where it ended.
The road was renumbered as a northern extension of the A467 in the mass renumbering of 1935. Road improvements in more recent years have given that road a new alignment along the valley and so little, if any, of the ex-A4044 still has the A467 number. After leaving Crumlin the A4044 followed Crumlin Road, now closed to traffic due to a landslip, to reach the B4471 which it follows to Aberbeeg. Its route further north is now unclassified.