|Location Map ( geo)
|7.5 miles (12.1 km)
|A4119, B4278, B4564, A4061, A4064
|Old route now:
|Route outline (key)
The A4093 is one of the few east-west roads in the valleys of South Wales.
The road starts at a roundabout with the A4119 near Tonyrefail. It then heads west around fairly new industrial estates before meeting the B4278 and joining its original course. Continuing west, it then climbs up the Cwm Ogwr Fach, meeting Glynogwr at the top, before running back down the other side to meet the A4061. There's a short multiplex with this road to the north, before the A4093 regains its number by branching off to the left. Officially there's a very sharp turn left in Pant-yr-Awel but the signposted route turns off before this then TOTSOs left. The road continues west on a much steeper section of road with several hairpins. It ends on the A4064 at Llangeinor.
The A4093 did not appear in the 1922 Road Lists, but was one of the first A roads to appear after this, probably by 1st April, 1924. Its original course was on what was the B4271 from the centre of the Rhondda Valley where it branched off the A4058 and headed through Tonypandy and Tonyrefail before continuing on the course of the B4279 to Blackmill. Since this predated the extension of the A4061 over the mountains, it was the main road for motor traffic from Bridgend to the Rhondda and hence important enough to receive Class I funding.
The 1.75 mile new road from Pant-yr-awel to Llangeinor became a westwards extension of the A4093 after it was opened on 22 November 1928 by Alderman William Saunders, Glamorgan County Council Chairman. The road had taken 12 months to complete and cost £20,000. The winding road over the saddle connected the Ogmore and Garw valleys.
When a new series of relief roads were built along the course of old mining railways in the Rhondda during the late 1980s, the A4119 was moved onto a new alignment and the A4093 reclaimed a section of its pre-1935 route. Much of this is now the B4278 and the current course dates from a newer relief road bypassing Tonyrefail, built in the early 1990s.