|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||St. Just (SW372316)|
|Distance:||6.1 miles (9.8 km)|
|Meets:||A30, B3317, B3318, B3306|
|Former Number(s):||B3317, B3306|
|Route outline (key)|
The A3071 crosses Cornwall's Penwith peninsula, making it the second most westerly A-road in England after the A30. It was originally numbered B3317 except for its westernmost section which was part of the B3306 but it gained its current number in 1935.
The initial 50mph limit quickly gives way to the NSL and it's out into the countryside. The first junction with a classified road is with the very short B3317, but this is completely unmarked on the ground. Then Tremethick Cross is marked as a junction, but these roads are unclassified. Next is the village of Newbridge, which is small but does get a brief 30mph limit.
As the road climbs into the hills, the B3318 leaves on the right and is marked for Pendeen.
Later, the Atlantic is glimpsed and we climb up to meet the B3306 which comes in from the left. That road forms the junior partner in a useless multiplex with this road as our route gets its 30 mph limit back and drops down into St Just, which has been visible for some time. The road gives up in the narrow streets of the centre, specifically in Bank Square, leaving the B3306 to continue ahead.