|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Long Sutton (TF440217)|
|To:||Gedney Drove End (TF463293)|
|Distance:||7.9 miles (12.7 km)|
|Meets:||A17, A1101, B1390, A17, unclassified|
|Former Number(s):||A1101, A17|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1359 is an L-shaped road in east Lincolnshire.
The road starts at a roundabout on the A17 Long Sutton bypass, which also marks the northern end of the A1101, and heads north into town. A T-junction is met where the road TOTSOs left and the road continues west through the town centre. The B1390 comes in from the left after the road becomes residential again and then it's about a mile until the A17 bypass it met again at another roundabout.
The road cannons off the A17 and then continues briefly along that road's old route into Gedney. There's a poorly signed TOTSO right and the road finally leaves the A17 behind. Open countryside is soon met and the road winds across the fields into Gedney Dyke, where there's a TOTSO right at a T-junction.
The road continues northeastwards onto Gedney Marsh, where the road is largely straight except for a few bends. Presently the road reaches Gedney Drove End where it ends at a T-junction on an unclassified road in the village centre. The Wash is only about a mile away straight ahead.
The B1359 did not exist in the 1922 Road Lists but was classified in the mid-1920s. Originally the road was in the interesting position of ending on unclassified roads at both ends. The road started at the long-gone Gedney station and headed north to cross the A17 before following the road's present route to Gedney Drove End.
Although Gedney station closed in 1959 the section of the B1359 to the station lasted until at least the 1980s. However, around 1990 the A17 to the east was rerouted onto a new bypass of Long Sutton and the B1359 was extended east along that road's pre-bypass route. The road to the old station was presumably declassified at this time but the road did get a spur as being that part of the A1101 north of the bypass.
In more recent years the spur has become the mainline of the B1359 as the road to the east has been declassified.