|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||1.6 miles (2.6 km)|
|Meets:||A684, A167, A168|
|Former Number(s):||A684, A167|
|Old route now:||A684|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1333 – a short B-road in the Yorkshire town of Northallerton – starts on the A684 on the southern edge of town and heads north along Ainderby Road through the suburb of Romanby. There are houses to the right from the outset but the left-hand side of the road remains semi-rural for a short distance further.
After crossing a mini-roundabout on Romanby Green the road goes over a level crossing on the railway line which allows York to Teesside traffic to avoid Northallerton station. There's a TOTSO left immediately afterwards (the unclassified road ahead soon reaches a roundabout on the A167), after which the road goes under a low, narrow bridge under the East Coast Main Line.
The road continues, via mini-roundabouts and traffic calming, into Northallerton town centre and a set of traffic lights on the High Street. Here the road splits. Turn right and you can already see the roundabout on the A167 and A168 where this branch ends. The left turn runs along a much longer stretch of the High Street, through the old Market Place, ending at another roundabout on the A167.
The B1333 did not exist here at that time but by 1932 the number had been allocated to Lees Lane, a short (450 m) west-to-east link between the A684 and the A167 south of the town, starting from a point very close to the beginning of today's B1333.
By 1975 it had been decided to swap the routes of the B1333 and A684 as part of improvements to the Northallerton road network. The B1333 finally achieved its full present length following construction of the A167 relief road in the late 1980s.