|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||5.4 miles (8.7 km)|
|Meets:||B5476, A49, A41|
|Route outline (key)|
The B5065 is a rural B-road in north Shropshire.
It starts in the centre of Wem, at the eastern of the two TOTSOs on the B5476 (former A49). It heads east and crosses the Shrewsbury to Crewe railway line at a level crossing by the station then passes an industrial estate on the edge of town.
The road zigzags across the flat landscape before reaching a T-junction on the A49 at Prees Green. There is a multiplex east through the settlement before the B5065 regains its number by turning left. At this point it is signposted as going to Market Drayton, which is actually a considerable distance beyond its far end (requiring two further A-roads).
The road continues northeastwards to Prees Lower Heath where it reaches a T-junction. Originally this was the eastern end of the road where it ended on the A442. However, that road no longer reaches this area so now the B5065 TOTSOs left into Darliston before having to TOTSO right again. It ends over the brow of the hill on the A41 at Sandford.
In 1922 the entire of the B5065 east of Prees Lower Heath was numbered A442. In 1935, that road was diverted away from Sandford, so the B5065 was extended via a multiplex of three-quarters of a mile along the A442 to continue as its own number for a third of that distance to the road's present eastern end on the A41. The construction of the A53 Hodnet bypass in the 2000s declassified the A442 north of Hodnet, so the B5065 took over the multiplex to form a single route. The two TOTSOs in this region hint at its history.