|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Town Road (SJ883477)|
|To:||Stafford Street (SJ882476)|
|Distance:||0.1 miles (0.1 km)|
|Met:||B4047, A50, A5006|
|Now part of:||Town centre pedestrian area|
|Route outline (key)|
The B5048 was a very short urban B-road. It provided a short cut through the streets of Hanley town centre in Stoke-on-Trent to avoid through traffic having to travel as far as Old Hall Street. Through traffic is now completely discouraged from using this route: it was made a pedestrian area in the 1980s.
The original route of the B5048 is not completely obvious: it seems to have been made up of three squares with connecting roads between them - its entry in the 1922 Road Lists reads Stoke-upon-Trent (Market Square), although the road was in Hanley and comprised more than just the one square.
It started on the B5047 Town Road next to what is now the main entrance of the Potteries Shopping Centre (which was not built until after the road had been declassified). It passed through Market Square and Fountain Square (which currently has no fountain), then along a short section of Piccadilly to reach its third square, Crown Bank. Here, it met the A50 Stafford Street as well as the A5006, which was the continuation of Piccadilly.