The road originally ran from the B5012 south to the A5. It started at the eastern end of the now-unclassified Cannock Road in Chase Terrace and headed south along Chasetown High Street before turning east through Triangle and then continuing along Hanney Hey Road to end on the A5 east of New Town. The section beyond Triangle was soon rerouted, however, to run south along Ogley Hay Road and meet the A5 at Middleton Bridge, on the west side of New Town.
The original 1923 route of the B5011
Around 1986 the route was extended south of the A5 along Chase Road and Ogley Road to reach the A452 in the Catshill district of Brownhills. Construction of the M6 Toll then led to declassification of the entire route of the B5011 north of the A5 – replaced by a new road (the A5195) bypassing Chasetown and Chase Terrace – so that today only the southern (and now out-of-zone) section, between Middleton Bridge and Catshill, remains.