|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Potteries Way, Hanley (SJ884479)|
|To:||Keelings Road, Birches Head (SJ887484)|
|Via:||Town Road, Hulton Street|
|Distance:||0.4 miles (0.6 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B5047 is the only B road that reaches Hanley in Stoke-on-Trent. Furthermore, it starts at the only GSJ on the Hanley ring road, although this could be due to the terrain rather than emphasising the road's importance. Since the building of the bypass, the section of the B5047 within the bypass has been downgraded - and indeed some has been pedestrianised.
The former route of the B5047 inside the ring road ran along the remainder of Town Road to Market Square, where it met the B5048. It then had two possible routes depending on which map you look at, either running along Parliament Row or Tontine Street (the route given in the 1922 Road Lists) to meet Old Hall Street, which was the A5008.
The B5047 now starts on the A50 only a stone's throw from the Potteries Shopping Centre. Owing to the road's short length, the bridge of this GSJ is actually a sizeable proportion of the entire length of the B5047. The bridge has a roundabout at each end as part of the junction.
After leaving the A50 behind, the B5047 straightens out and makes a bee-line for the A5272 (formerly B5049), which it meets at a triangular junction. Northbound traffic from that road meets us at traffic lights but most maps claim it comes in along an unclassified road so the B5047 continues along the north side of the triangle (where it is dual carriageway) before ending on what is mapped as the A5272 a few hundred feet later. There is a TOTSO on the A5272 at this point and so traffic from the B5047 passes seamlessly onto the A5272 northbound.