|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Chester Road (SJ754672)|
|To:||The Square (SJ761673)|
|Distance:||0.5 miles (0.8 km)|
|Meets:||A54, A50, A535|
|Old route now:||A54|
|Route outline (key)|
The B5308 is a short link road in the Cheshire town of Holmes Chapel. It was the first new Class II road in the 5-zone after the original 1922 classification, dating the road to the early 1920s.
The road's present route is, however, not the same as its first one. Originally the A54 entered town from the west along Middlewich Road, then left along Station Road following a brief multiplex south along the A50 London Road. The B5308 at that time cut off the corner by following Chester Road, thus allowing east-west traffic to avoid the town centre.
This situation lasted until at least the 1990s, after which the routes of the A54 and B5308 were swapped immediately west of the A50, so that it is now the A-road that follows Chester Road (so removing the multiplex) and the B-road follows Middlewich Road. Starting at a TOTSO on the A54 our road heads east through the suburbs into the town centre and ends at a double mini-roundabout on the A50 at The Square, beyond which the A535 sets off eastward.