|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Leicester Outer Ring Road (Gorse Hill) (SK561072)|
|To:||Woodgate, Leicester (SK576054)|
|Via:||Anstey Lane, Blackbird Road|
|Distance:||2.7 miles (4.3 km)|
|Meets:||A5630, A563, A50, A6, A607|
|Route outline (key)|
The B5327 is a short link road in the northwest suburbs of Leicester.
The road starts at a roundabout on the A563 ring road, from where the A5630 heads off to reach the A46 bypass. Our road heads southeastwards along Anstey Lane, which seems rural to begin with as is passes a cemetery; the houses on the left are hidden behind trees. Presently the road does become lined with houses and we continue along a wide, tree-lined avenue to traffic lights on Blackbird Road.
The B5327 turns left and right here, despite the road to the left being unclassified. Traffic turning right onto the D2 Blackbird Road soon reaches the A50 at a complicated signalised junction. However, if we turn left we follow the unclassified Blackbird Road to meet the A6 at traffic lights. The B5327 reappears on the far side and follows Abbey Park Road. It's still D2 initially as it skirts the abbey grounds but it narrows abruptly to cross the River Soar and then remains S2. We cross Wolsey Island, with Abbey Park to our right, and soon go over the Grand Union Canal. The road ends shortly afterwards at Belgrave Circle, where it meets the A607. That road was grade-separated here until the removal of the flyover in 2014; the roundabout is larger than expected to accommodate this.
The B5327 was not part of the original 1922 classification but had come into existence by 1932. Originally the road started on the A50 at Field Head, on the edge of Markfield, and headed east via Newton Linford and Anstey to join its present route. It met the B583 Blackbird Road and briefly multiplexed along this before continuing along Abbey Park Road to end on the A6 Belgrave Road.
Construction of the A46 Leicester bypass seems to have put paid to the full length of the B5327, with the entire route west of the bypass having been declassified. A short section immediately to the east is now numbered A5630. The detached section of B5327 along Abbey Park Road presumably still exists as the multiplex was declassified but the section beyond was not.