|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Bow Street / Folds Road (SD718095)|
|To:||Blackburn Road (SD716101)|
|Via:||Kay Street (S), Higher Bridge Street|
|Distance:||0.5 miles (0.8 km)|
|Meets:||A676, B6205, A666], A673|
|Old route now:||A666|
|Route outline (key)|
The B6206 is a short route through the northern end of Bolton town centre.
The road starts off at a signalised crossroads with the A676, where that road TOTSOs and the B6205 also starts. The first section of this road is an oddity: the first part is one-way southbound between the A676 and the northbound exit slip-road from the A666, whilst the next part is one-way westbound (so traffic coming off the A666 can either head southbound or westbound on the B6206 on a one-way street).
After a short distance westwards, the road reaches another signalised crossroads, where a rarity amongst road junctions occurs: a cannon. Our road turns northwards, whilst the B6205 comes in from the south and turns westwards. From here, the B6206 ascends up a fairly steep hill up to a set of traffic lights where the dual A673 crosses from west to east. The road then continues northwards up to a gyratory where the road ends by merging into the A666.
An amended OpenStreetMap trace for this route awaits uploading to the SABRE Wiki.
The construction of the Bolton inner ring road has altered the B6206 beyond recognition. In 1922 the road started at its current southern end (still on the A676) and headed north along the full length of Kay Street, ending on the A666 which used Higher Bridge Street. These two roads have practically swapped places, although the southern end of Kay Street remains the B6206.
An image has been requested for this article.