B4008 (Crowmarsh Gifford - Benson)
|From:||Crowmarsh Gifford - Benson (SU616892)|
|Distance:||1.3 miles (2.1 km)|
|Met (1923):||B4007, A415|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4008 was a short B-road on the opposite side of the River Thames from Wallingford.
Later in the 1920s the road was extended south via North Stoke to end on the B479 in Goring. In the early 1930s the B479 was rerouted to Benson rather than Goring and so that road took over the B4008 north of Crowmarsh Gifford, including the road's entire original section; in return the ex-B479 between Goring and the A42 at Streatley became part of the B4008.
In 1935 the B4008 number disappeared. The B4009 was extended south and took over the whole of the 1930s section of B4008. It remains this number.
The original section of B4008 has had a strange history. During World War II the northern section of the road was destroyed with the building of the runways of Benson Airfield and so a new section of road was built to the west (a short section of road towards the airfield from the south can still be seen). The original northern end of the B4008, therefore, is now under the airfield. Crowmarsh Gifford has now been bypassed and so most of what remains of the ex-B4008 is now unclassified.