|Distance:||46.5 miles (74.8 km)|
|Meets:||A4, A339, A329, B4526, A4074, B480, M40, A40, B4445, B4444, A4129, A4010, A413, A41, B4635, B488|
|Former Number(s):||B4008, A413, A4011, A41|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4009 is a remarkably long B-road connecting Newbury with the Chilterns.
It starts in the centre of Newbury where it meets the A4 and A339 (former A34). It heads northeast out of town and goes through Hermitage before going under the M4. The road then zigzags through Hampstead Norreys before going round the former RAF Hampstead Norris (sic) before passing through Aldworth and descending to the Goring Gap at Streatley. It crosses the River Thames (making the most of an island in the river) to Goring itself.
After going over the railway line the B4009 TOTSOs left and follows the river for some distance (although it never gets particularly close). Eventually it reaches a T-junction on the A4074 and multiplexes north along this road (part of which is the Wallingford bypass) for three miles to Benson.
After a roundabout, the B4009 enters Benson from the northwest along Oxford Road rather than the narrower but more obvious Church Road. It zigzags through town and then passes to the north of Ewelme (which it originally went through). After Britwell Salome the road reaches Watlington, where it meets the B480 (which has to TOTSO here) then multiplexes along it through the village. At the other end of the multiplex it is the B4009 that has to TOTSO to continue northeast.
A couple of miles later the B4009 reaches Lewknor, which it now bypasses. However, the bypass connects with the M40 at junction 6. Shortly afterwards (and still on the bypass) the A40 is met at a staggered crossroads, although the importance of the two routes at this point is emphasised by the fact that the A-road has to give way to the B-road.
After a couple of villages the B4009 enters Chinnor. It turns left at a mini-roundabout onto Station Road (heading away from the station) before having to TOTSO right onto Lower Road. The road ahead here is the B4445. The B4009 then runs straight for a few more miles, crossing the A4129 at a roundabout en route, before going under a railway line and reaching a T-junction on the A4010 immediately afterwards.
There is now a multiplex of over a mile (although the route is in the same direction) along the A4010 before a roundabout is reached. Here the A-road bears off left and the B4009 continues ahead for another mile to reach the A413 Wendover bypass. There is another multiplex to the north before the B4009 regains its number and heads southeast into town along the pre-bypass A413 before turning left at a mini-roundabout.
The road continues northeast skirting Wendover Woods for a couple of miles before a T-junction is reached. This is the pre-bypass A41 and the B4009 TOTSOs right and soon ends at a GSJ on the current route of the A41 on the edge of Tring.
The 1922 route of the B4009 was between the A415 (now A4074) at Benson and the A4010 at Little Kimble. In 1935, the B4009 was extended south from Benson (via a multiplex along the B479 which roughly corresponds to today's multiplex along the A4074) then along the ex-B4008 to Streatley, then along formerly unclassified roads to Newbury. In the other direction the B4009 was extended to meet the A413 to the north of Wendover. This original route into town was severed when the bypass was built and is now largely inaccessible to traffic.
The final section of B4009 to gain the number is the bit between Wendover and Tring. This was originally numbered A4011 to the T-junction then A41 beyond. It was downgraded to Class II status, receiving its current number, with the building of the Aston Clinton bypass in the 1990s.