|To:||Naunton Downs (SP077219)|
|Distance:||7.9 miles (12.7 km)|
|Old route now:||A436|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4068 is a medium-length road in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds.
The route starts at traffic lights on the A429 in the centre of Stow-on-the-Wold as a westward continuation of the A436. It descends out of town and crosses the River Dicker before going through Lower Swell. We then go over the watershed, at the top of which we cross Ryknild Street, before crossing the River Eye.
After another climb we descend into the valley of the River Windrush. After crossing the river we run on top of the right bank of the valley, above the village of Naunton. After passing a golf course we climb again onto Naunton Downs and the road ends at a T-junction back on the A436.
The road marked B4068 on the map (left) was the original route of the A436 west of Stow-on-the-Wold. That road's present route was originally unclassified but became the B4068 in 1935. At that time the B4068 crossed the A429 and detoured via Bourton-on-the-Water before returning to end on the A429 from the east.
This state of affairs continued until the 1970s, when the A429 and B4068 swapped numbers east of Naunton Downs. The road through Bourton retained Class II status for a few more years but had been declassified by 1991.