|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Clifton Drive North (SD319287)|
|To:||Heyhouses Lane (SD334300)|
|Via:||St Anne's Road East|
|Distance:||1.2 miles (1.9 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B5233 is a short link road in the Lancashire seaside town of St Anne's. The road was originally unclassified but had gained its number by 1932.
The road starts at traffic lights on the A584 and heads northeast along St Anne's Road West, a wide, straight avenue lined with shops set back behind verges and flower displays. There's a brief detour to the right to go over a bridge over the railway line to Blackpool South (St Annes-on-the-Sea station is below), after which we descend to traffic lights and zigzag back onto our original alignment; there was presumably once a level crossing here.
Now on St Anne's Road East we continue northeast. The road is still wide with set-back buildings but these are now residential. Soon we reach a road junction at a corner of the churchyard. Originally the B5233 bore left to follow Headroomgate Road and Leach Lane to end on the B5261 Blackpool Road North. However, that road's route north of here was severed with the construction of RAF Squires Gate (later Blackpool Airport) in the 1930s and a new road built around the edge of the airfield; the B5233 was therefore also rerouted. We therefore pass the other side of the churchyard and continue along St Anne's Road East. There's a slight bend to the right at one of the side roads then we end at a T-junction on the B5261 Heyhouses Lane.