|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Manchester Square (SD311318)|
|To:||Blackpool Airport (SD306350)|
|Distance:||1.9 miles (3.1 km)|
|Meets:||A584, A5073, A5230|
|Old route now:||A584, A5230|
|Route outline (key)|
The B5262 is an urban B-road in Blackpool.
The road starts at Manchester Square on the Promenade on the A584 and heads southeast along Lytham Road. It has tram tracks for the first 100 yards or so and then the tracks disappear into the Rigby Road depot on the left. After a right hand bend, the road is arrow straight to its terminus. It crosses the A5073 at a raised roundabout before passing over the Blackpool South railway line and going past the Burlington Pub. It finishes across from Blackpool Airport at traffic lights on the A5230.
The B5262 has crept south from its original line. It was originally a short link road running along the coast, or just inland, connecting the A584 with itself.
In 1922 the road started on the A584 Central Drive (now pedestrianised) near the Tower and headed south along the Promenade to reach its current northern end and continue along Lytham Road. It ended on Waterloo Road which was also the A584 (now A5073).
In the late 1920s the A584 was rerouted along the Promenade so the northern section of the B5262 was given to that road. However, in return it got the former section of A584 south of Waterloo Road, south along Lytham Road to Squires Gate, then west along Squires Gate Lane back to the A584. Then in the 1990s the A5230 was cut through the area, taking over Squires Gate Lane and giving the B5262 its current route.