|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Stoney Bridge (SP502930)|
|Distance:||4.9 miles (7.9 km)|
|Met:||A47, B578, A46|
|Now part of:||B590, B4669|
|Route outline (key)|
The A5070 was a short but important road running eastwards from the centre of Hinckley. It was created, at the latest, by April 1926 as an upgrade to the B579. As such, it is one of the earliest known examples of a recycled number.
The road started on the now-pedestrianised original line of the A47 in the town centre and headed east along London Road to cross the railway line. The road crossed the fields before going through Sapcote and ending back in open country on the A46 (now B4114).
When the M69 was built, the eastern section of the A5070 was downgraded along with the A46. The remainder was downgraded to B4669 (entirely out of zone, being north of the A5) when the A47 Hinckley bypass opened.