|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||6.6 miles (10.6 km)|
|Meets:||A561, A5039, A5047, A57, A5046, A5053, A5054, A5055, A567, A5090, A59, A5058, A5098, A566, A5036|
|Route outline (key)|
The A5038 is an urban A-road running north from Liverpool.
The road starts at traffic lights on the A561 St James Street just north of that road's junction with the A562 at the southwest corner of the Anglican Cathedral. It heads north through the eastern side of the city centre along Berry Street, passing the ruined St Luke's church, before continuing along Lime Street past the eponymous station and St George's Hall, to reach the A57 by the Churchill Way flyovers.
The A5038 then reappears slightly to the west on the A57 Dale Street and continues heading north. It crosses the cutting leading to the Kingsway Tunnel and then runs parallel to the Leeds & Liverpool Canal before crossing the A567. It splits next to Kirkdale station. A branch heads east along Selwyn Street to end on the A59 but the mainline continues north, now as a dual carriageway. It goes through Orrell Park and, several roundabouts later, ends on the A5036 in Litherland.
In 1922, the A5038 only ran between the A561 in Liverpool and the A567 in Sandhills (although there was no multiplex with the A57: the A5038 ran along St John's Lane and Manchester Street). It was later extended via Kirkdale to the A59 and then in the 1970s the through route became the spur as it was extended to Litherland.