|From:||South Shore, Blackpool (SD305340)|
|To:||Preston New Road, Blackpool (SD324346)|
|Distance:||1.3 miles (2.1 km)|
|Meets:||A584, B5262, A5099, B5261, A583, B5390|
|Route outline (key)|
The A5073 is a short A-road in south Blackpool.
Starting on the Promenade, the route heads east through the district known as Waterloo. The first section, as far as a roundabout on the B5262, is one-way westbound but the road becomes two-way in time to cross the old railway bridge for the Blackpool Central line (now Yeadon Way from the M55; the station site is a huge car park) and you can see Blackpool's football ground on the left.
We pass the access for Yeadon Way and Blackpool South station (and a retail park) and then go through a set of lights with the junction for Central Drive, the A5099. We continue in a straight line and at the last minute bend to the left to Oxford Square and finish at a huge junction with the A583 and B5390.
In 1922 the A5073 existed only east of Central Drive. The A584 went inland instead of along the sea front and zigzagged here from Central Drive west to Lytham Road. When the A584 was moved west later in the 1920s, the A5073 was extended to meet it.