|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Middlegate / Duke Street / Brunswick Road (NY512305)|
|To:||Stricklandgate / Duke Street (NY513303)|
|Distance:||0.1 miles (0.2 km)|
|Met:||A6, B5306, A6|
|Now part of:||A6|
|Route outline (key)|
The A5076 was originally allocated to a section of Stricklandgate and Corney Square in Penrith, while the A6 went further west along Duke Street. This means the A5076 was not only one of the shortest A roads in the original list but it was also completely out of zone, being east of the A6. The A5076 number was the highest A5xxx number outside London in the original 1922 allocation. Although the road is named Stricklandgate the terrace of houses and The Royal pub on its western side are in fact addressed as Wilson Row with curiously high house numbers (eg: 86, 92 etc) for only around 20 houses and flats.
The A5076 was still extant as of 1970, but today, perhaps more sensibly, the road is part of the A6 in Penrith's one way system and is only accessible southbound. However, the relevant 1928-29 MoT Map does not show the road, suggesting that the road became defunct earlier that was previously thought.