|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Holborn Hill (SD407078)|
|To:||High Lane (SD419092)|
|Via:||Ormskirk town centre|
|Distance:||1.2 miles (1.9 km)|
|Met:||A59, A570, A59|
|Now part of:||B5319|
|Route outline (key)|
The actual listing itself states Link in Ormskirk, which in connection with the relevant MoT Map is usually sufficient to identify the road in question, save for short routes in major cities. However, whilst the A5070 number is clearly marked (twice) on the 1923 sheet, it is unclear as to whether it is referring to the then-under construction bypass of Ormskirk town centre (now the A59 County Road), or the older route through the town centre (now the B5319 Burscough Street).
The balance of probability is, however, on the route through the town centre, citing other early gaps in major routes such as the A2 and A4 in the London area, where the main number was allocated to the then-uncompleted new route.
The A5070 turned out to be an interim number pending the completion of the A59 bypass, after which the road was downgraded to Class II status, presumably becoming the B5319. The number was quickly reused, with the A5070 in Leicestershire dating to as early as 1926. The central section of the original A5070 is now unclassified and pedestrianised, being within the inner ring road, but the rest retains the B5319 number.