A5092 (Barnet Bypass)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Mill Hill (TQ207929)|
|Distance:||11.7 miles (18.8 km)|
|Met:||A5088, A411, A6, A414, A1|
|Now part of:||A1, A1(M), A1001|
|Route outline (key)|
The A5092 was originally allocated to the northern section of the Barnet Bypass (with the southern section the A5093), opening to traffic in Summer 1926.
Bypass traffic left the A1 in East Finchley and followed the A5093 to Hendon, where it joined the A5088 Watford bypass. The A5092 started a couple of miles further north where the two bypasses diverged again. It headed north through South Mimms, where it crossed the A6. After bypassing Hatfield it ended back on the A1.
In 1935, the whole of the Barnet Bypass was renumbered to become the A555, then c. 1954 it was renumbered to become the mainline of the A1. The whole of the road has since been improved, either online or just offline, with much of the road now being the A1(M).