|Location Map ( geo)|
|Canning Place is the square in the centre of the map|
|From:||Strand Street (SJ342899)|
|To:||Hanover Street (SJ341900)|
|Distance:||0.2 miles (0.3 km)|
|Met:||A5043, A561, A5043, A5042, A5043|
|Route outline (key)|
Owing to redevelopment since 1922 it is not immediately obvious what the route of the A5041 was. Originally Canning Place was a square rather than just a road but the northern section is now lost under Chavasse Park. Incidentally, Canning Place itself was originally the site of Liverpool's Old Dock, the first actual dock as opposed to river quay, which was filled in in the 1820s.
Based on what is known about other road numbers in the area, it seems as though the A5041 followed three sides of Canning Place, with the A5036 Strand Street the through route on the western side. Starting on that road the A5041 headed anticlockwise around the square, with the Custom House in the middle; this suffered bomb damage during World War II and was later demolished. After meeting the A561 Park Lane the road turned left to head north, turning left again at the next corner from where the A5043 South John Street continued north. The final side of the square met the A5042 South Castle Street before returning to the A5036 Strand Street and the end of the A5041.
The area was redeveloped in the 1960s to replace the empty space left when the Custom House was demolished; at this time or possibly before the road became one-way (in the direction given). Further redevelopment in the 2000s as part of the Liverpool One complex has given Canning Place its current layout. What remains following the redevelopment is now closed to traffic or accessible to buses only.