|Distance:||9.6 miles (15.4 km)|
|Met (1956):||A4136, B4228, B4028, B4234, A48|
|Now part of:||B4228|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4431 was a road that ran from Marian's Inclosure near Staunton, to Blakeney in the Forest of Dean. The road was originally unclassified but gained its number in 1924.
Its original starting point in Coleford was on the B4228 just outside the town centre. It then ran up a hill for half a mile until it reached Coalway. After passing a crossroads it then entered the wooded area of the Forest.
The road continued to Parkend. From here its original route was via Yorkley to end on the A437 (present A48) south of Blakeney. However, the road was quickly rerouted to multiplex with the B4234 (Ross to Lydney road) for a few hundred yards. After this, the road passed a small road that takes you towards the Speech House and B4226 (Cinderford to Coleford road) and then passed Mallard's Pike, a small picnic site that includes one of 21 Go Ape sites in the UK.
Finally after a few more miles travelling and passing another picnic site (Blakeney Straights or Wenchford), the road finally arrived at Blakeney, where after another half a mile it ended on a T-Junction with what is now the A48.
Sometime between its original number allocation in 1924 and 1939 (though probably before 1932), the route gained a northwestwards extension from Coleford to the A4136 at Marian's Inclosure, taking over part of the B4432.
Except for this northern section, which is part of the B4228, the route is now unclassified.
There are a few signs on and around the B4431 that have still not been replaced since it became unclassified, the most recognisable being the information signs on the A48 at Blakeney, where the patching has started to fall off and is starting to reveal "B4431" underneath.