|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||8.5 miles (13.7 km)|
|Meets:||B4242, A465, A4109, A4230, B4287, A474|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4434 in the Vale of Neath, West Glamorgan, runs from the village of Resolven down to the town of Neath, following the left bank of the River Neath. Although not included in the 1922 road classification lists, the route features on maps from, at the latest, 1932 and has undergone very little change since.
It starts, in fact, on the opposite bank of the river, at a T-junction with today's B4242 (formerly part of the A465 Heads of the Valleys road). After crossing the river and intersecting with the present route of the A465 at a roundabout junction distinguished by a very long pedestrian overbridge, the road turns right in the centre of Resolven to commence its run down the valley.
After passing through the communities of Clyne and Tonna – from where a short spur crosses the valley to connect the B4434 to the A465, A4109, and A4230 at a grade-separated junction situated between Aberdulais and Cadoxton – the road enters the town of Neath through the suburb of Llantwit.
Shortly after passing Neath Rugby Football Club's ground on the left in Gnoll Park Road the B4434 divides into two branches at a small roundabout. The lefthand arm continues the original route via Victoria Gardens and Eastland Road to a junction with the A474 (old A48) at the Stockham's Corner roundabout. The righthand arm swings around the northern and western sides of the town centre eventually to reach a point no more than 100 m northwest of the same roundabout, so that at this end the B4434 forms a near complete circuit of the town – one, however, that vehicles can follow in its entirety only in a clockwise direction.