|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||12.2 miles (19.6 km)|
|Meets:||A4095, A415, B4044, A40|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4449 is a winding B-road in southwest Oxfordshire. It was originally unclassified but had gained its number by 1932.
Originally the road started on the A417 at St John's Lock, just east of Lechlade, and continued east towards Clanfield. This section appears to have been declassified in the 1980s/90s.
The road now starts on the A4095 in the market square in Bampton and heads east along the High Street before having to TOTSO left into Aston Road. After a brief rural section we reach Aston and wind through the village, then regain our easterly route across the fields. Presently the road enters Brighthampton and reaches the A415 at a triangular junction.
Originally the B4449 multiplexed to the right. After regaining its number it ran through Standlake to reach Stanton Harcourt. Now, however, there's a longer multiplex to the left. The B4449 regains its number by turning right at traffic lights then bypasses Hardwick before crossing some ponds and at least two channels of the River Windrush. Stanton Harcourt is then bypassed and the old B4449 comes in from the right at a roundabout.
After a few bends and a dead-straight section we reach a roundabout on the Eynsham bypass; the old road ran straight through the centre. We now head east to meet the B4044 at a roundabout, then north. The old road is crossed at the next roundabout and we end at a further roundabout on the A40.
Originally the B4449 ran along a road that has been deliberately narrowed to dissuade through traffic before crossing the A40 at Cassington. After going over the railway line it ended on the A34 in Yarnton. This section is now unclassified, presumably to stop it being used to avoid Oxford.