|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Lawrence Hill, Bristol (ST604735)|
|To:||Dodington Ash (ST758784)|
|Distance:||12.9 miles (20.8 km)|
|Meets:||A4320, B4469, B4048, A432, A4017, A4175, A4174, A46|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4465 heads east from Bristol city centre into the Gloucestershire countryside.
Starting on the A4320 Easton Way just north of the large Lawrence Hill Roundabout and heads east along the semi-residential Easton Road. After going over the railway line north of Temple Meads station we go under a disused railway line, now a footpath, and reach a T-junction, where we TOTSO left; the unclassified road to the right quickly reaches the A420.
We now climb Whitehall Road into the suburbs. The B4469 bears left at traffic lights and we continue winding northeastwards. There's a left turn at a mini-roundabout and by the time we're going through Speedwell we're heading close to northwards. After a narrow bridge controlled by traffic lights over the same dismantled railway line as before we reach a T-junction in the suburb of Fishponds. A short spur turns left and quickly meets the A432 at traffic lights but the mainline of the B4465 TOTSOs right.
We head east along the dead-straight Staplehill High Street and soon reach traffic lights on the A4107. The road ahead is the A4175 and we multiplex along that road for about a quarter of a mile before it turns right at traffic lights and the B4465 regains its number by continuing ahead. After passing Page Park the road starts to wind, although it retains its more-or-less easterly route.
In Mangotsfield we reach a mini-roundabout where we turn left then take the next right turn before the church; this north-south road has always been unclassified. There's a roundabout serving a housing estate and then the road appears semi-rural as it passes a sports ground to its right. We descend to what appears to be a roundabout with no other exits apart from the B4465, then cross over the A4174. After following a traffic-calmed road through Shortwood we climb to reach a T-junction. The left turn is a link back to a roundabout on the A4174 but the mainline of the B4465 turns right.
Continuing east the road descends into Pucklechurch and turns sharply left on the entrance to the village. A roundabout provides access to HMP Ashfield then we reach the village centre. Here the road bends round to the right and the B4465 TOTSOs left. After skirting the churchyard we head north out of the village and soon go over the M4 and continue across fairly flat land past the crematorium to traffic lights, where we turn right.
Now heading east once more the B4465 skirts Wapley and runs through Codrington before returning to the M4, which is on an embankment at this point, bearing left at seemingly the last moment to avoid crossing it again. There's then a final climb into Dodington Ash, where we pass an entrance to the grounds of Dodington House then end immediately afterwards at a crossroads on the A46 immediately north of M4 J18.
In 1922 Staplehill Road was part of the B4047 whilst the section from there into the centre of Bristol was numbered B4049. The remainder of the road was unclassified but came into being in the late 1920s as the road from Staple Hill east via Pucklechurch to the A46 east of Hinton.
The road appeared to have been extended into Bristol along the other two B-roads in 1935. However, it retained its route through Hinton until the M4 was built in the 1960s and the B4465 was rerouted east of Pucklechurch. Later construction of the A4174 necessitated a junction with the new road and therefore the spur.