|From:||Victoria Road (SU153843)|
|To:||Drove Road (SU159845)|
|Distance:||0.4 miles (0.6 km)|
|Met (1967):||B4006, A361|
|Now part of:||C410|
|Route outline (key)|
The number B4527 was allocated, probably in the late 1930s, to Groundwell Road in the New Town area of Swindon in Wiltshire. This was a link between the now-unclassified B4006 Victoria Road and the then-A361 (now the B4289) Drove Road.
At the time of the original road classification scheme in 1922, Groundwell Road had been a dead end (apart from side turns) extending for no more than some 170 m east-north-eastwards from its junction with Clarence Street. By 1939, however, the road had been extended across former allotment gardens – and lined with typical interwar semi-detached housing – to reach Drove Road, the A361. Maps in the immediate post-war period continue to show this route as a B-road (though usually, given its short length, with no indication of the number), as too does OS Seventh Series mapping.
The B4527 was still being included in the DfT's road lists in 2005. However, by then the route had been unclassified for a few years.