|From:||Washwood Heath (SP104887)|
|Distance:||1 miles (1.6 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4516 is a short link road to the east of Birmingham city centre. The short length of the road means that its early history is difficult to establish. What is known for certain is that was unclassified in 1922; however, it appears to be labelled with its current number on the 1938 OS 1:10560 sheet.
The route starts on the B4114 by a Jobcentre Plus building, heading south along Highfield Road, and soon crossing over the (predominantly freight-only) Stechford to Aston rail line. After half a mile or so we reach a small shopping area, where we cross Alum Rock Road at traffic lights. Now our route is called Bowyer Road and becomes one-way south-westbound for the next 500 yards (north-eastbound traffic must divert on to parallel streets for thgis section). This brings us to the Zia Ul Quran Mosque, which lies almost directly ahead of us at the point where our route intersects St Saviour's Road. Expect congestion here at the end of prayers at around 17.00 on Fridays.
The B4516 now turns a little more towards the west-south-west for its final 140-yard stretch along the two-way Arden Road to reach the route's conclusion at a meeting with the B4145 Ash Road near Adderley Park railway station.
An OpenStreetMap trace for this route awaits uploading to the SABRE Wiki.
An image has been requested for this article.