|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Gib Heath (SP058886)|
|Distance:||1.3 miles (2.1 km)|
|Meets:||A41, B4100, A4540, B4144, A34|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4515 is a short road to the north of Birmingham city centre. The road was originally unclassified; owing to its short length it is not known when it gained its number but it certainly has Class II status by the 1940s. The first large scale map to show route numbers is the 1938 OS 1:10,560 sheet, which appears to label Nursery Road as the B41xx, although unfortunately this is at a sheet join and the second half is obscured online. By the mid 1940s, however, the current number is shown.
The road starts at Hockley Circus and heads north along Hunters Road, passing under a bridge connecting buildings on either side, before bearing right into Nursery Road. Apart from a couple of mini-roundabouts this is a straight residential road through Lozells. After changing its name to Gerrard Street the road bears right to reach a T-junction.
The original line of the B4515 continued ahead to end on the A34 but a school has now been built on top. As such the road splits in both directions to go round. There's a short spur to the left along Wheeler Street ending at traffic lights on the B4144 by St Paul's Church. Alternatively traffic may turn right along Wheeler Street then left at a mini-roundabout onto Clifford Street. The A34 is met at traffic lights and the B4144 is the road ahead.